Prev: Re: SG2 Question for WH40K Players Next: Re: SG2 Rules and such, was Re: SG2 Question for WH40K Players

Re: Stargrunt II Question

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 14:15:52 -0500
Subject: Re: Stargrunt II Question

Rob spake thusly upon matters weighty:
>	  A couple of thoughts on the cornered/surrender situation-
There are
> numerous cases, e.g. in WW2, of troops firing of all their ammunition
then
> trying to surrender immediately, only to be told, "too late, chum" and
shot
> down.  Conversely, especially when troops are cornered or expect to be
> killed by their captors (not unusual for either side on the Eastern
Front)
> fighting to the last man is quite possible, and with modern/SF
weaponry such
> a last stand might easily cause disproportionate casualties on the
> attackers.  As Don Marquis more or less put it, "sometimes things get
so bad
> there's no point giving up" and it might just work.

I think the Eastern Front scenario is covered by the Last Stand
rules. I think they quite clearly state that extra motivated troops
make last stands very easily (ones who know they'll be shot anyway).
Despite what you say, a VAST number of Germans surrendered on the
Eastern Front. So the 4-6 roll on a d6 for Last Stands in this case
gives a good chance of such a last stand, but still gives them a
chance to surrender. There is ALWAYS the hope of mercy, if not the
actual possibility. And sometimes guys just don't want to fight
anymore, don't really even care what happens to them.

And nowhere did I see it in the SG rules that said you had to accept
a units surrender - I sort of assumed you could still press the close
assault or just gun them down....although a leadership check on your
side might be apropos.

Tom.

Prev: Re: SG2 Question for WH40K Players Next: Re: SG2 Rules and such, was Re: SG2 Question for WH40K Players