Prev: Re: OT: asteroid in-bound... Next: Re: OT: asteroid in-bound...

Re: [semi-OT] Omega Destroyer

From: agoodall@s... (Allan Goodall)
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:24:24 GMT
Subject: Re: [semi-OT] Omega Destroyer

On Thu, 12 Mar 1998 17:42:10 -0500 (EST), Aaron P Teske
<Mithramuse+@CMU.EDU> wrote:

I just picked up four of these suckers today. Quite expensive, at C$17
a pop (same price as 5 Pinnacle 25mm figs, though).

>The detail on the mini is *very* nice overall, though I am marginally
>disappointed that the front of the Omega is a solid block.

I'd have to say that while I agree with most of the review so far, I
was really disappointed in the overall detail on the mini. The
detailing is not very deep or well defined. The best description is
that the detail looks like the detail found on early GW plastic minis.
If you had the Ork or Dwarf figs in chainmail, you'll remember that
instead of deep chainmail, the shirts looked like they had little
mounds all over them. That's the feel that I got with these ships. The
detail doesn't go down too deep and the edges of the detailed sections
are rounded.

>Hmm, upon comparizon with my background, the rotating
>section struts should be jutting out, not carved in like on the mini,
>but that's probably a limitation of the casting process.

The carving on the end of the rotating section, to represent struts,
looks very much like a rush job after the fact.

Lots of flash, as you mentioned, though mold lines are almost
non-existant. I like the fact that you can assemble the model with the
rotating section in virtually any angle, but the front and back pieces
don't look as though they'll assemble correctly without a little
remedial work. Not a lot of pitting on the model (a major problem in
the original fighter miniatures from AOG) but still some pitting.

>All in all... decent.	It's an Omega, certainly. ^_-  I'm not sure I
>still want to buy a whole destroyer group (6) like I used to, but if I
>get the money to spare, and the painting time, you never know.... ^_^;;

This is the strange part. I would call it "passable," not decent, but
I am still going to buy a whole destroyer group. I have 4 now with two
more on order. I also have 6 Hyperions, which not only look fairly
good but look as though they would be a match for my Valiant ships as
a large carrier or something.

>Next up on the wait list: the G'Quon Heavy Cruiser.  The piccie up on
>AoG's web site looks pretty decent... and the fact that they need a
>special blister for the sucker because it's too long for the regular
>blisters is... interesting. ^_^

By the way, of the 5 Omegas that came into my local store, two of them
had their blisters pull away from the cardboard backing. Either the
figure is too big for the blister, or the glue is too weak, or both.
Make sure you get all the pieces before you buy the figure.

Allan Goodall	     agoodall@sympatico.ca

"Once again, the half time score,
 Alien Overlords: 142,000. Scotland: zip."
  - This Hour Has 22 Minutes

Prev: Re: OT: asteroid in-bound... Next: Re: OT: asteroid in-bound...