Prev: Re: Operation Zebra - The True Accounting Next: Re: Casting your own mini

Re: Casting your own mini

From: adrian@r... (Adrian Bruce)
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 1998 16:34:10 +0900 (JST)
Subject: Re: Casting your own mini

In article <199803070458.WAA02112@dfw-ix16.ix.netcom.com>
tachyon1@ix.netcom.com writes:

>> I've often wondered how to do it and have tons (almost literally) of
>> fantasy minis for lead.  I don't have the first clue on how to create
>> miniature though, is there a book or kit, can I do this with out
>> spending a lot of money?

To do it yourself, you can make the master pattern out of some clay or
epoxy putty. To mold it you can use RTV silicone rubber. This stuff
can be used with white metal as well as resin if you have the high
temperature stuff.

If you want to manufacture stuff, you use hard rubber molds and a spin
casting machine. Hard rubber molds need to be cured at high
temperature, so in that case the master pattern mast be remade in
something like epoxy or bronze.

The page below goes into the general mechanics of sculpting and
molding and casting in resin, if that is what your after...

	Adrian Bruce  adrian@rinc.or.jp
	Science Fiction Fantasy Design and Implementation
	SF2D&I http://www.rinc.or.jp/~adrian/

Prev: Re: Operation Zebra - The True Accounting Next: Re: Casting your own mini