Prev: Re: I need help ID'ing Trav. 15mm and Spacelords 25mm Next: Re: going to try SGII

Re: Some DSII questions

From: "Geo-Hex" <geohex@t...>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 1998 11:52:46 +0000
Subject: Re: Some DSII questions

> Date: 	 Wed, 4 Mar 1998 21:46:19 -0800
> From: 	 Tony Christney <acc@uvic.ca>
> Reply-to:	 FTGZG-L@bolton.ac.uk
> Subject:	 Some DSII questions

> Hi everyone,
>
> Some friends and I had a game of DSII tonight and I have some
questions
> regarding some of the things that happened:
>
> 1. I fired a SLAM/4 at some vehicles. The main target was destroyed.
> Two other vehicles were caught in the fire zone. While drawing chits
> for the other vehicles, I drew a SYSTEMS DOWN - FIRER chit. Does this
> nullify all of the hits? I argued no, since it doesn't make sense that
> there should be a greater chance of losing your systems just because
> of the spread of a SLAM causes it to hit several targets. Basically
the
> problem is that the rules don't specify the effect of this chit on
damage
> that has already been resolved, even though it was technically from
the
> same attack. The same question also goes for multiple barrel weapon
> systems.

We have had this happen, and we negate the current chit draw only (i.
e. the draw for the spread) and mark the firing vehicle as systems
down.  Damage from the original hit we leave in place.	We have the
same thing come up for artillery fire on vehicles (where special
chits are in force) and put a tube down on the battery firing.

> 2. This one actually came up in an earlier battle. It seems that a
unit
> that is either BROKEN or ROUTED would never actually have to retreat
> at all, provided you tried to rally them every turn. The rules clearly
> state that rallying uses up the units' activation, implying that they
> can't move if they fail. This seems wrong to me. Should the rule say
> that the movement must be made _before_ they can attempt to rally? Or
> should it say that a unit can only attempt to rally after it has
> retreated to cover? Or is there another interpretation altogether?

We look upon activation as "controlled movement" and Broken or Routed
movement as uncontrolled.  I always move a broken unit to the nearest
cover first on activation and once there it can use its next activation
"rally"(of course following all the rules for doing so).

Routed units we consider a special case and we move them
down a road or other clearly defined route back to their entry point
or into cover if cover is on the way to their entry point.  We then
allow the leader unit to attempt to rally AFTER the routed unit
has been moved.  Even after this has been accomplished the routed
unit is now considered broken and will still be forced to find cover.

I know this isn't in the rules but we feel it is in the flavor of the
rules and it seems a logical way to handle it.

KR