Prev: Re: GZG East Coast Con Report Next: Re: DS2 Cavalry Figures

Re: Care and Feeding of Dice (was Re: GZG East Coast Con Report)

From: Tony Christney <acc@u...>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 22:11:39 -0800
Subject: Re: Care and Feeding of Dice (was Re: GZG East Coast Con Report)

Jerry Han wrote:

[SNIP]
>[MUNCH]
>
>> But as soon as I'm rolling to hit with pulse torps, it all goes to
pot.

>What about my !@#$@!$!@! Dalmation Dice?
>
>Background:  I've got 36 dice, small, with little dalmation spots all
>over them.  Perfect for games like Shadowrun where you can roll
>hideous amounts of d6's, and they work just dandy.
>
>I discovered at the Con that they do not like Full Thrust, at all.
>It got so bad that I used other people's dice, and then I had other
>people pinch roll for me, with other people's dice.  People will
>testify to the bad karma I had with those damn things.

I had some camo dice for a while. Those buggers were so damn hard
to see that I ended up giving them away (probably didn't help that
I'm color blind - things got real bad under incandescent bulbs).

>I think a little remedial training is in order.  (8-)

Maybe they just need some R&R? I had a friend who worked on the theory
that dice had a certain number of "charges". He used to get _REALLY_ mad
if he caught people rolling his dice without purpose.

>Trying to bring this thread back to GZG (8-):	All this argument about
>dice makes me wonder what 'tools' do you bring to a GZG game?	Do
>people have a 'lucky' tape measure or turn gage or set of dice that
>the bring whenever possible?  Do you expect the person hosting the
>game to have most of the supplies you need on hand, or do you bring
>your customized set?

I definitely will bring my own set of dice, as does everyone I have met
yet. I also bring some models that I know I'll never use in a game.
Sort of like mascots, although they rarely leave my case... Other
stuff I like to bring is terrain. You can never have too much!

[SNIP]
>Whenever he lost, and he thought it
>was the dices fault, he would take the pair of dice he used, and beat
>them with a hammer until they were nice and shattered.

By any chance is he the kind of guy who throws his golf clubs when he
misses a shot? Or breaks his bat when he strikes out? I would never
get upset if I lost only because of poor dice rolls. At least then
you don't have to admit that you're a horrible tactician ;-).

>I would expect that everybody would have their favourite set of dice,
>but you know what happens when you assume things.  (8-)

Well, I do, so no worries about that old saying ;-).

>J.
>--
> *** Jerry Han - jhan@idigital.net - http://www.idigital.net/jhan ***
>	"And we will raise our hands, and we will touch the sky;
>	       Together we will dance in robes of gold;
>    And we will leave the world remembering when we were kings..."
>      When We Were Kings - Brian McKnight/Diana King - TBFTGOGGI

  Tony Christney
  acc@uvic.ca

Prev: Re: GZG East Coast Con Report Next: Re: DS2 Cavalry Figures