Prev: RE: Stargrunt Support Weapons Next: Re: GZG East Coast Con Report

Re: Custom Miniatures

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 22:10:41 +0000
Subject: Re: Custom Miniatures

>On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, Mikko Kurki-Suonio wrote:
>
>> In the end, it boils down to how law-abiding you are. We all know
taping
>> a friend's CD is technically illegal... but how many of us does that
>> knowledge stop doing it?
>
>Also, generally when you nuke a copy of someone's CD you won't be
playing
>it when you run into the producer of the CD or a member of the band.
The
>risk factor is very small.  However, you stand a much greater chance
>running into Jon at a con in the UK or KR here in the USA.
>
>I'd just as soon buy the legit figs and not deal with the potential
>wracked nerves.  Also, I just don't see incredible savings in producing
>your own with the very small production runs I'd need.

Exactly. Provided a figure is still in production, it will cost you more
in
materials, time and hassle to cast some pirate copies than to go out and
buy legit ones, unless you want literally dozens of just one figure.
Generally, the only reason you'd want to cast a LOT of one figure is if
you
intend to sell them, which is VERY illegal. If it is a long-out-of
-production mini, and you just want a few for yourself - then it is a
bit
more like the CD example, inasmuch as everyone does it (or is at least
tempted) at some time......

On the subject of getting caught out, a couple of years ago there was a
particular big SF demo game at one of the UK shows, and looking round it
noticed a large number of badly-cast copies of some of our resin cargo
pods
being used as scenery. There were a number of red faces from the game
organisers when I mentioned this....  The point is that if they had come
us and said "hey, we're running a big game at the show, could we have
some
stuff for it?" we'd probably have let them have them cheap or even free
in
return for the publicity.

Jon (GZG)