Prev: Re: %%$$^&#! Missed our Chance Next: Pizza Spiders, WAS (RE: Ship mini's mounts)

Re: DS Rule Clarifications

From: Brian Burger <burger00@c...>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 17:08:27 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: DS Rule Clarifications

On Sun, 1 Mar 1998, Paul O'Grady wrote:

> Owen Glover and I were playing an attack/defence DS2 game on the
weekend
> and found a few things we would like clarified:
>
> Woods and GEV/Grav Vehicles:
> GEV and Grav vehicles are prohibited from entering woods...not even
the
> edges.  Surely  if a tracked vehicle can go through then a Grav
vehicle can
> glide through the same path, even a bit faster becasue its a meter or
2
> above the ground and avoiding logs etc ?  In the scenario, all the
> defending forces set up hidden and dug in...Would it be a scenario
spefici
> rule to have tank scrapes in the tree line ?	Can these vehicles
manouvre
> into the tree line but not into the guts of the forest ?

As I read the rules, any vehicle that wants to, regardless of movement
type, can enter the edge only of a wood to claim the 'Soft Cover' (d6)
secondary defense die. I've assumed this means vehicles hunkering down
behind bushes/scrub/etc even if they can't move through the trees inside
the wood.

You do have to move out of the woods entirely to do any other movement,
however.

One reason I like Infantry Walkers is that because they move like
Powered
Infantry, they can move right through woods, the only vehicles that can
-
nice to move a GMS/H onto a wooded flank your opponent thought was
secure...

> Hidden Units:
> According to the rules, a hidden unit is revealed the first time it is
> activated or an opposing player's unit has LOS to it.  Again, the
defenders
> were dug in/hidden etc but on the first activation of the first turn a
> single vehicle topped a hill and just about everything was revealed !
This
> seems a bit unrealistic given that the defenders were in prepared
> positions.  We decided that for the rest of the game, hidden units
were
> revealed if they moved or fired (and so could call in Arty on
preregistered
> targets without revealing themselves) or if a unit came within LOS AND
6"
> of the unit in cover.   This assumed the units had everything
shutdown, cam
> and thermal nets in place etc.  If the hidden unit wished to move or
fire,
> it had to flash up its systems.  If it flashed up it could then either
fire
> OR conduct a 1/2 move.

This sounds interesting - last game, my opponents first activation was
one
of his aerospace fighters, making a pass along my front and exposing
most of my hidden units for his arty and aerospace to pound on -
including
the PI in the forests...

Maybe I'll try these rules next time I play...

> CC and Follow Ups:
> The follow up after successful CC move was used heaps.  Is there any
limit
> to how many follow ups a unit can do ?  We had a Power Armour platoon
> infiltrate an urban area (where the HQ troop and a BR Grav Vehicle
was) and
> move into CC with a dismounted Observer.  He retired form the combat
> (suprisingly).  The PA followed up and CCed the HQ guys.  They fell
back.
> The PA followed up and CCed the Grav Vehicle, etc.  Can they really
keep
> going and going as long as they win and pass the CONF check for the
follow
> up move ?  It seemed like they would cross the whole board in 1
activation!

Only one follow-up attack per CC, AFAIK...otherwise you're right, PI
especially could just go nuts - cover whole kilometers of ground per
turn...

Brian (burger00@camosun.bc.ca)