Prev: Re: HELP STUART, WOT again ! Next: Currency Rate Correction: (Was Pendraken Figures)

Re: Solitaire Full Thrust and old SFB

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 23:45:36 +0200 (EET)
Subject: Re: Solitaire Full Thrust and old SFB

On Sun, 1 Mar 1998, Donald Hosford wrote:

>   The only other "Robot player" I ever heard of, was an artical that
appeared in the White
> Dwarf mag several years ago.	These robots were "programed" by a set
of tiles.  They had
> arrows that controled the flow of the "program". There were things
like 'Fire main
> weapon'  'Move slow', ect.  The advantage was that you could change
the robot's program.
> I don't have the mag, but I thought the idea was so interesting, that
after I read the
> artical in the hobby store, that I went home and made up my own set of
tiles!

> Any of the (formerly) avid WH40K players might have the artical!
Maybe an interesting
> oppenent can be fashoned from it.

I have that old WD somewhere... but it isn't really of much help. The
hard part is not cutting up the tiles etc. -- the hard part is actually
formulating a program that makes sensible moves. Especially in FT, where

it has to consider velocities that are retained from turn to turn.

My quick guess is that you can't do it without either trigonometry
during
play, or a table (potentially massive) with the trig precalculated.

OTOH, if *do* manage that, you probably go further into proper
mathematical analysis of FT tactics than anyone has ever gone.

...hmmmm... sounds like an interesting problem... (evil grin)

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	   | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: HELP STUART, WOT again ! Next: Currency Rate Correction: (Was Pendraken Figures)