Prev: Re: Further thoughts on hitting with lasers Next: Re: Now Dream Pod 9?!?

Re: Further thoughts on hitting with lasers

From: Brian Bell <Brian.Bell@a...>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 21:24:31 +0000
Subject: Re: Further thoughts on hitting with lasers

>  Are you guys taking into account the transit time from the target to
>  your sensors in your overall on-target timing calculation?  That
should
>  at least double the response time, even assuming that target
processing
>  is instantaneous.
>
> Good point. I don't think they'd thought about that. And whatever
> reading you have, the quality increases as the target grows closer
> (less likelihood the target has changed course in the lag time).  At
> close ranges, this target to ship to target time might not be long
> indeed, but it will (I assume) effectively double the misalignment
> you calculate using the method the other folks were using.

Assuming active sensors for targeting, make that triple!
  1) Time for sensor to reach target
  2) Time for reflection of sensor to reach firing ship
  3) Time for fire to reach target ship

--
Brian Bell
brian.bell@axom.com

The Full Thrust Ship Registry
http://www.axom.com/bkb/fthome.html
Dirtside II Site
http://www.axom.com/bkb/ds2main.html
Stargrunt II Site
http://www.axom.com/bkb/sg2.html
Cygnus Eclipsers' Science Fiction Games Page
http://www.axom.com/bkb/scifi_game.html

Prev: Re: Further thoughts on hitting with lasers Next: Re: Now Dream Pod 9?!?