Prev: Re: DS2/SG2 Camouflage Next: Re: Hammer's Slammers

Further thoughts on hitting with lasers

From: Roger Burton West <roger@f...>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 98 18:09:45 GMT
Subject: Further thoughts on hitting with lasers

On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, BEST, David wrote:

>This is incorrect. Depending on the distance the target ship will have
>moved but the beam will be travelling in a straight line. It won't be
>like the target is standing still unless it is very slow or very close.

Sure. My point, though, is that it's not possible for the target ship to
get out of the way of the beam unless it has a lot of _random_
acceleration in the plane perpendicular to the beam, or unless the
distance over which the beam is fired is very long.

I recommend to anyone who can get hold of them the last GDW Traveller
books (the "after the fall" ones), which had a lot of discussion on this
subject.

Roger

--

Prev: Re: DS2/SG2 Camouflage Next: Re: Hammer's Slammers