Prev: Re: DS2/SG2 Camouflage - LONG REPLY Next: Re: DS2/SG2 Camouflage

Re: DS2/SG2 Camouflage

From: Brian Burger <burger00@c...>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 18:22:29 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: DS2/SG2 Camouflage

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Brian Bell wrote:

> I would like to know what other people are using for camouflage on
thier
> DS2/SG2 vehicles (and/or figures). I have been using a Mountain
> Stone/Urban camouflage scheme for my one force (see my DS2 page for a
> picture*), but need to choose a 2nd scheme, so that I have an obvious
> 2nd side. Thus, the inquiry as to what camouflage schemes are being
> used. Also, if someone could recogmend a good reference book for other
> camouflage schemes.
> --
> Brian Bell

When I began painting my ds2 vehicles, I used a wide variety of colors
and
patterns for experimentation. Most of these are jungle/woodland
green/brown schemes - basic and easy...One of the different combos I
came
up with: reddish brown/rust and dark green - very striking.

Now that I'm settling into an 'standard' TO&E with blocks of identical
vehicles, I'm using mostly a dark brown & dark green camo, or a lighter
brown & dark green varient, all in stripes or blotches as with regular
camo...

Desert camo & tiger-stripe designs are something I want to play with as
well - my SG2 vehicles, being larger, have a more complex camo sheme -
dark green with thin light brown stripes, scattered with short black
streaks. Very nice, but too complex for ds2...

Books/resources: Another poster mentioned the EE Imp. Gaurd Codex as a
good source for interesting camo schemes - there are some good ones. I
also saw a big coffee-table book called 'Camoflage Schemes of the World'
or something like that - had entries for the whole 20th Century, from
lots
of countries, mostly b & w photos but some big, full page color plates
as
well...nice. There's always the Osprey books, as well - ww2 and modern.

One military organization that did some interesting camoflauge work was
the Waffen-SS, later in ww2. Lots of tiger-stripe, fleck and very
complex
schemes - my SG2 vehicles camo is very loosely based on some SS
camo...Their politics and ethics sucked, but the camo schemes are worth
look.

One pet peeve I have w/ a lot of SF combat - fiction and games - is the
lack of attention paid to camo - I mean, bright red APCs with silver
thingies on the sides? Just paint TARGET on your armour and be done with
it, ok? Even David Drake is guilty of this - his Hammer's Slammers have
_metallic_ finishes on their armour...My point is this: In nearly any
enviroment, regardless of tech level, there will be _some_ point were
the
old Mk. 1 eyeball is being used for detection and targetting. If $100 of
paint will save a $1,000,000 tank, who _isn't_ going to paint the damn
thing?

(Ok, rants over. You can look up now...)

My $0.02,

Brian (burger00@camosun.bc.ca)

Prev: Re: DS2/SG2 Camouflage - LONG REPLY Next: Re: DS2/SG2 Camouflage