Prev: Re: DSII Question- Obstacles Next: Re: DSII Question- Obstacles

Re: DSII Question- Obstacles

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 23:01:26 -0500
Subject: Re: DSII Question- Obstacles

Just for the record:

I'm sure the Somalia intervention had good intentions, if it was not
well thought out, and despite the poor preparation (in some ways) of
many of the troops participating. The consequences of a lack of
direction or a lack of adequate understanding of the nature of the
situation have lead us to the situation of today. People would like
to set that at the feet of the American government, but the UN is
also to blame. And (although I personally have served in the CF and
respect many of its members), I have met paras from 1, 2, and 3 CDO
and the CAR before. It doesn't really surprise me that they had a few
of the repugnant types that could torture and kill civilians. 99% of
that proud unit are fine people, and 1% are nasty folk. But it only
takes 1% and poor leadership, and a situation far from home in a
foreign country to generate regretable situations. And sociologists
have demonstrated that even good people, under the right/wrong
circumstances, will commit the most awful acts. It doesn't make it
right, but mud slinging is a pointless venture.

And besides, it doesn't have a lot do do with SG2 or DS2. Until the
GZG boys come up with an FMA system that covers the breakdown of
discipline in operations in foreign ground with undertrained and
underled and underequiped troops (which sounds pretty dismally boring
and very unlikly), this isn't a very good thread for the group.

OTOH, figuring out how to effect restrictive ROE on SG2 or DS2
scenarios to reflect peacekeeping situations is sort of interesting
and topical....

Tom.

Prev: Re: DSII Question- Obstacles Next: Re: DSII Question- Obstacles