Prev: RE: DSII damage chit chart. Next: SV: DSII damage chit chart.

Re: DSII Question- Obstacles

From: Brian Burger <burger00@c...>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 14:35:40 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: DSII Question- Obstacles

On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, Brian Bell wrote:

> > My inclination for DS2 scale games would be that they automatically
> stop
> > movement when advancing into contact with the obstacle (and they are
> NOT
> > allowed to then fire), but that the infantry units attempting to
cross
> may
> > continue moving in their next turn.  This would simulate the use of
> > bangalore torpedo type weapons and the effect of checking movement
and

> > making them a nice target for the defenders for a turn.  Dragon
Teeth
> would
> > be impassable but may be blown by sappers simialr to building
> demolition.
>
> Or you could charge one activation by that unit to cross the wire or 2
> to cross and clear the wire (make a hole in the line).

You're thinking of SG2 - units in DS2 only have one 'combat action',
plus
moving - so they can fire & move, or do an engineering action and not
move, or whatever...

I'd say that stopping movement on the wire then continuing the next turn
(without a hole made) makes sense for regular troops; stopping at the
wire
and spending the entire next turn there (leaving a hole) would work for
engineering troops.

> > Wire/teeth rules would need to have wire-vs-tank rules and
> > wire-vs-arty/DFO rules - what happens to a razor-wire line when a
> > group of
> > Size 5 GEV panzers cruise through or a battery of medium artillery
> > drops a
> > converged sheaf load on it? (Teeth would be unaffected, I'd think -
> > for
> > fairly obvious reasons...) Don't forget what tanks were originally
> > made
> > for - wire-busting (at least in part)...WW1 again...
>
> How about these suggestions:
>	    Wheeled**	   Tracked	GEV***		Grav
> Size 1    as Infantry    Ignores*	Difficult	Ignores*
> Size 2    Difficult	   Clears	Poor		Ignores*
> Size 3    Ignores*	   Clears	Poor		Ignores*
> Size 4    Ignores*	   Clears	Clears		Ignores*
> Size 5+   Clears	   Clears	Clears		Ignores*
>  * If the AFV Parks on the wire Infantry may cross on top of the
> vechicle as 1" poor terrain.
>  ** Assumes Size 2+ Wheeled vehicles use High Density/Bulet Proof/ATV
> tires.
>  ** Assumes GEV is using spring steel skirts. If it has rubber/cloth
> skirts, it moves as infantry.

This looks good - takes into account the varied sizes of vehicles. I
like
the bit about AFVs parking on wire and acting as a bridge for
infantry...if grav vehicles do that - stop on the wire - I'd say they
leave a gap after they move on.

This is a good thread - lots of great (and some very nasty) ideas out
there...

Brian (burger00@camosun.bc.ca)

Prev: RE: DSII damage chit chart. Next: SV: DSII damage chit chart.