Prev: Re: Fighter Balance Issues (LONG) Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] Some FT background stuff (guidelines for writers) -LONG POST!

Re: Another fighter question

From: "Steve Pugh" <mafb90@p...>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 15:02:24 +0000
Subject: Re: Another fighter question

> I was wondering if anyone used fighter squadrons with either more
> than six fighters or less than six.  It seems to me that the escort
> carrier in More Thrust would be more effective in an anti-fighter
> role if it carried interceptors in three squadrons of 4 fighters
> each than in two squadrons of 6 fighters.  This give you an extra
> fighter group to manuver and the interceptors in groups of four
> would have a similar punch to six regular fighters in a dogfight.

In my background the humans use the standard six fighters to a group.
One of the alien races uses five, whilst another uses eight for
standard fighters and four for heavy fighters. I use d5, d8 and d4
for morale rolls to keep everything fair.

The one question that must be answered is: can a smaller grouop of
fighters force a larger group to engage in a dogfight? If they can
then why not use groups of one fighter for just that purpose thuse
keeping attacking fighters away from ships?

	Steve
--
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
 Attack ships on fire, off the shoulder of Orion...