Prev: Re: Dimension Next: Re: Ceasefire and Summary (was FT Background)

Re: Ceasefire and Summary (was FT Background)

From: "." <scylla@o...>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 00:35:15 +0100
Subject: Re: Ceasefire and Summary (was FT Background)

>----------
>From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@sympatico.ca>
>To: FTGZG-L@bolton.ac.uk
>Subject: Ceasefire and Summary (was FT Background)
>Date: Saturday, February 14, 1998 11:26 PM

Speaking of autonomous fighters... anyone read "Ender's Game" by Orson
Scott Card?
That had a pretty neat twist on the whole fighter philosophy
(instantaneous
communication with fighters at the alien home-world sorta thing), I just
don't remember if they were remotely piloted or human piloted. I believe
they were remotely-piloted (that was the point.. having children control
them (better reflexes) all the while thinking they were playing a game..
).

Instantaneous communication (another thread) puts a whole new twist on
the
space combat arena. Then it becomes a war of attrition and technology
fought from systems (galaxies?) away. Who can build the most RPF's with
the
best AI. Tactics and good 'ol game play are right out the window. The
modern equivelant would be the Tomahawk Missile.

I think that it is not too far fecthed to have one or the other
technology
in a "world", but together they  cause huge gameplay gaps, as well as
plausability issues.

>It looks like the autonomous fighter debate (which, funny enough, was
>only a side comment on Jon's background) has ground to a halt. It was
>quite interesting and very informative.

Just wanted to get my say-so in there before the thread went away...

Joe
scylla@omeganet.es

Is there a Dirtside GZG list? This list is named FTGZG, is there a DSGZG
or
equivelant?

Prev: Re: Dimension Next: Re: Ceasefire and Summary (was FT Background)