Prev: Re: Another fighter question Next: Re: Fighter surviability...

Re: [OFFICIAL] Some FT background stuff (guidelines for writers) -LONG POST!

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@n...>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 20:40:27 +0100
Subject: Re: [OFFICIAL] Some FT background stuff (guidelines for writers) -LONG POST!

Samuel wrote:

> Interesting... Something I'd very much like to know though,
> which wasn't mentioned, are 'real' units for length of a turn,
> and size of an ".
>
> It makes a big difference to the perception of a battle (and
> discussion over possible rules modifications) whether a turn
> is 15 minutes long, or a few seconds.

There is no official game scale, so you can assume whatever fits your
background. Yes, it makes a big difference, but I suspect that you need
that difference if you use virtually the same rules to play out battles
between Star Wars fighters (one of the adaptions on Mark's Page) or
Renegade Legion Leviathans.

If you go with the orbital movement rules from MT (p. 13), it is
possible
to derive a game scale where 1 MU is about 1000 km and one game turn is
15-20 minutes - Steve Pugh did this some while ago. If, instead, a
planet
is large enough that the planet covers an entire table edge (and then
some), as suggested in the Stig IV scenario on p.39, you get a
completely
different set of scales - much shorter MUs and faster game turns <g>
You're
free to choose. However, you need to state your assumptions whenever you
discuss the background physics etc with someone else!

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Another fighter question Next: Re: Fighter surviability...