Prev: Re: Dimension Next: Superior Models Questionaire

Re: Dimension

From: "Glasses...secret identity...seemed like a good idea at the time." <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 20:48:20 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Dimension

>> > Question:
>> >	 Has anyone tried incorporating the 3rd dimension into FT? The
>> > simpler rules system almost invites it, since the main problem is
>> > navigational record keeping and visual representation.It seems that
with
>> > great computer aids like FTmap, it might be less hard to do than
solely
>> > outside the virtual world. If such a thing could be done there'd be
>> > final wedge driven between space sims and 2d navy or surface combat
>> > sims.

[various games that tried 3-d, and another home-attempt at 3-d here]

Personally I think 3-d-ing it is more trouble than it's worth, but I
have
toyed with the idea, esp after seeing some of those WWI biplane minis
games
at some conventions. Doesn't look like it'd be that tough, but would
take
a bit more time to calculate things.

The idea, for those who haven't seen these, is to mount your planes (or,
in
our case, ships) onto a thin pole or stick, say, 5' high or so. Said
pole
or stick is mounted to a sturdy base (naturally ;). Up and down the pole
are
tick marks, say, every inch (or 'mu'). To adjust your height you just
slide
your mini up/down the pole (attached with small c-clamps or something of
that
ilk). Your movement would have to be calculated trignometrically if you
deviate from the horizontal plane. Can be done, but take some effort.
More
effort than I would want to put into it.  ;-)  And range is easy to
calculate.
Just take your favorite measuring device (measuring tape, whatnot), and
hold
it between the minis. As for arcs, you would have to decide whether or
not
your arcs cover 180 degrees 'up/down' in the direction the weapon(s) in
question is/are facing, or if you'd need 2 new arcs: 'up' and 'down'.
Assuming
you get two new arcs and opt to make them 'blind' spots, guess you'll
have to
'dive' your ship around to bring weapons to bear (hmmm...interesting
tactical
exercise here...).

Well, my $0.02 worth on the subject. Personally I'm going to stick with
the
2-d abstraction and leave it at that.  :-)

Mk
-
During the run-and-fight-and-run-again battle through this forest of
horror,
she is finally cornered. Her weapons have been left deep in the bodies
of the
slain or broken against the granite-hard scales of these snakes that are
not
snakes. Her stand to the death must be fought here. Though her only
weapons
are her hands and her deep and wide knowledge of the slayers, she does
not
fear them. They will die. Of this she is sure.

Prev: Re: Dimension Next: Superior Models Questionaire