Prev: Re: Paul's Catalogue page.. Next: Re: Fighter use in FT

RE: Another Dimension

From: Tim Jones <Tim.Jones@S...>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 14:34:45 -0000
Subject: RE: Another Dimension

On Friday, February 13, 1998 12:59 PM, Noam R. Izenberg
[SMTP:izenberg@jhuapl.edu]
wrote:
> Question:
>     Has anyone tried incorporating the 3rd dimension into FT? The
> simpler rules system almost invites it, since the main problem is
> navigational record keeping and visual representation.It seems that
with
> great computer aids like FTmap, it might be less hard to do than
solely
> outside the virtual world. If such a thing could be done there'd be a
> final wedge driven between space sims and 2d navy or surface combat
> sims.
>
> Noam

I tried to use the Silent Death 3D rules with the
stacking black plastic block things. These are
reasonably simple. It sorta works but it isn't really
worth the effort.

This is related to the other space combat game
by ICE for their space master RPG 'Star Strike'
that had very detailed 3D rules, of which Silent
Death is an abstraction.

These are sort of like the WWII fighter plane
games where the miniature has a calibrated stick
up and down which it slides. There was a new
moon combat game that used more modern versions
of this posted in the last year.

The other way is the clear plastic sphere
with the ship inside, some kind person
send we the photo-copy of the rules from Practical
WarGamer by John Treadway, complicated
and interesting, but again hardly worth the effort
in a big fleet duel.

I agree with JT's observatios in FT/MT that they
played with 3D and decided to abstract it out.

If you're playing a ship to ship duel then 3D
is probably Ok to use as it adds more depth, but
for a fleet action its going to slow it down too much.

sincerely
tim jones
--------
Reality is for those who can't cope with Science Fiction.

Prev: Re: Paul's Catalogue page.. Next: Re: Fighter use in FT