Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] Some FT background stuff (guidelines for writers) - LONG POST! Next: Superdrone Was/ Crew Quality /was Re: [OFFICIAL] Some FT background...)

Re: [OFFICIAL] Some FT background stuff (guidelines for writers) - LONG POST!

From: agoodall@s... (Allan Goodall)
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 02:49:08 GMT
Subject: Re: [OFFICIAL] Some FT background stuff (guidelines for writers) - LONG POST!

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998 02:15:28 -0500, Jerry Han <jhan@canoe.ca> wrote:

>An unmanned figher is only as good as its programming.  In a combat
>scenario, where mission execution may depend on the unexpected, human
>participation in the decision loop is essential.

There is human participation: the programmer. The programmer can be
wiley and unpredictable; he just has to think of it ahead of time...

>I do believe that missiles and other unmanned drones/aircraft can play
>larger role than conservative military elements will allow them to
play.
>However, I don't believe that manned fighters will ever be replaced.
>Any scenario which can't be programmed for will mean you will want
human
>pilots e.g. any scenario one step down from a full out hot-war.

I agree with that last point. Humans are better with vague orders,
particularly when it comes to changing the rules of engagement. Check
out that "Blackhawk Down" message that was posted a little while back.
The rules of engagement changed radically and the men on the ground
threw them out the window. That's a hard thing for a computer to
"decide."

Allan Goodall	     agoodall@sympatico.ca

"Once again, the half time score,
 Alien Overlords: 142,000. Scotland: zip."
  - This Hour Has 22 Minutes