Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] Some FT background stuff (guidelines for writers) - LONG POST! Next: Re: Some FT background stuff (guidelines for writers)

Re: Fighter Jocks.

From: John Leary <realjtl@s...>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 16:07:25 -0800
Subject: Re: Fighter Jocks.

Hello All,

     Here is the bottom line on the fighter pilot story:
(This is written from first person WWII GAMING perspective,
but if you talk to a real fighter pilot he will agree with
what I am about to say)

The answer to the question of what is the best fighter plane
of WWII is simple.  It's the one I am flying!
(I.E. If I am not the best, I am going to get killed doing
this.)

I will always win an air combat if the enemy plays by
my rules.  (I.E. he tries to fight inside my performance
envelope

He who makes the first mistake, has made the last mistake.

Be agressive, even if outnumbered 10 to one it puts the
enemy on the defensive.

The number of kills I have gotten against aces in superior
aircraft is far to long for me to bore you.

As far as the sonic boom vs WWI aircraft, I think it makes for
a great short story.   The presumption that everything will
just fall apart as you go by in your jet or never regain control
due to the shock wave is a bit much.
(How do you plan to land this thing and what will you use for fuel?)

Bad news for someone, the Super Drone fighter is no better than a
standard fighter in a head on pass.   The only thing that matters
is holding down the firing button, even a human can do that.

Bye for now,
John L.