Prev: Re: PBeM game? Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] Some FT background stuff (guidelines for writers) - LONG POST!

Re: [OFFICIAL] Some FT background stuff (guidelines for writers) - LONG POST!

From: Brian Burger <burger00@c...>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 11:55:40 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [OFFICIAL] Some FT background stuff (guidelines for writers) - LONG POST!

On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, John Leary wrote:

> Allan Goodall,
>      I have been in contact with: "Honest Johns Used Spaceship Parts"
> the owner says you should stop buying the inferior FSE and ESU grav
> units for your fighters. Even the used FCT compensators do not cause
> the problem you related, and they are on sale this month only.
> So act quickly, this is a limited time offer!
>
>      As far as communications is concerned, I feel that the courier
> ship exists for a reason, communication.   So I prefer the non-FTL
> communication background of 'Traveller".

Me too. (Although I don't play Traveller...) Courier vessels make the
game more interesting strategically, and, as another poster pointed out,
give that proper 'High Colonial' feel to the game.
(This "High Colonial"/Napoleonic feel is more or less your inspriation
for
the 'offical' GZG background, isn't it, Jon? British Empire & German
allies vs nasty French, only the Russians have changed sides...)

One idea I kind of like is the idea of FTL comms being possible, but
hugely power-intensive, to the extent that only large, dedicated
stations
can mount FTL comms, therefore only larger or vital colonies have the
things - the rest of the colonies and all fleets make do with couriers,
probably following some sort of semi-regular scheduale - interstellar
postman, anyone?

Brian (burger00@camosun.bc.ca)

Prev: Re: PBeM game? Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] Some FT background stuff (guidelines for writers) - LONG POST!