Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] Some FT background stuff (guidelines for writers) - LONG POST! Next: Re: FTIII Rules Tryout

Re: FTIII Rules Tryout

From: agoodall@s... (Allan Goodall)
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 04:55:00 GMT
Subject: Re: FTIII Rules Tryout

On Mon,  9 Feb 1998 21:49:33 -0500 (EST), Aaron P Teske
<Mithramuse+@CMU.EDU> wrote:

>IMO, because the math could get pretty horrendous.  How would you
>correlate 60 and 90 degree arcs?

I'm not sure why you'd need to correlate firing arcs. I suppose that
hip building requires calculations based on arcs. A cost per firing
arc type might be justified. For instance X cost for a firing arc of
30 degrees or less, Y cost for a firing arc of 60 degrees, etc. I
don't think the math would be a problem.

>Or the EFSB front/rear 60, sides 120?
>(Though that's essentially 60 degree arcs....)

Again, I'm not sure what you mean by correlating the firing arcs.
Simply use a protractor. For that matter, you could make up custom
firing arc displays to put on top of/under the model. Simple light
card stock or photocopy transparencies should work fine. The cardboard
counters for the EFSB have the firing arcs printed on them.

Jon could also make this simply an optional rule for people who have a
need for weird firing arcs on their ships.

> You could center an arc around a
>'time' (i.e., arc 12 is 15 degrees to either side of dead ahead), but
>you'd lose the simplicity of the symbols on the ship status sheet....

That is true, about the symbols.

Allan Goodall	     agoodall@sympatico.ca

"Once again, the half time score,
 Alien Overlords: 142,000. Scotland: zip."
  - This Hour Has 22 Minutes

Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] Some FT background stuff (guidelines for writers) - LONG POST! Next: Re: FTIII Rules Tryout