Prev: Re: Late-Nite ramblings on LEGO-Grunt Next: Re: Crew Quality & David Weber

Re: [OFFICIAL] National Characteristics?

From: KueckH@a...
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 07:06:51 EST
Subject: Re: [OFFICIAL] National Characteristics?

This is the first time that I am writing to the list (and only the
second time
that I'm writing something in english for over 10 years), so please
excuse if
not everything is the way that it should be.

Ground Zero Games wrote:

>[snip]
>>XXXX This message concerns FT 2.5/3.0 XXXX
>>Jon T.
>>     The current FT background (as I see it) Is an extension of the
>>modern era (Cold War) and the continuation of the WWII fleet design
>>principals.
>>This makes me wonder how the NSL ends up with big slow ships.
>>A very reasonable argument can be made that the construction of
>>Scharnhorst and Gneisneau triggered the WWII fast battleship
>>construction programs for the French, British, and Americans.
>snip]
>>Bye for now,
>>John L.

>You're reading WAAAAY too much into the 20th-century parallels... the
NSL
>fleet doctrine is planned to be in keeping with the look of the ships,
and
>to give interesting variations between the different fleets. The NSL
ships
>look chunky, armoured and ponderous, so that is what we've made them.
The
>idea is that NO fleet should be made of "super" ships, so we've
balanced
>the NSL's strength with low mobility.

>Jon (GZG)

Although I understand your point (concerning the look of the ships), I'm
not
totally at ease with slow NSL ships. Because of the ´´historic´´
evolution of
German Warships,I think it is unlikley that they (or better: ´´we´´
because I
am German) would go for slow capital ships. In my opinion capital NSL
ships
would be most likely equipped (at least in ´´reality´´) with average
Speed &
Armament plus superior Firecontrol & Armour.
I just think this gives a more German (Navy) feeling to the NSL fleet
(but I
trust you in this, you did it right with FT&MT and your fleetbook will
be
great too).

Tschüß !!!
HAUKE

Oh...and by the way, concerning the letter from John L.: The 28cm guns
of the
Gneisenau/Scharnhorst battleships where choosen out of political reasons
(Germany wasn't allowed anything bigger after WW1), so I don't think
that they
are a good example.

Prev: Re: Late-Nite ramblings on LEGO-Grunt Next: Re: Crew Quality & David Weber