Prev: Old GZG Resin Stuff Next: Re: Worried about GenCon.

Re: Worried about GenCon.

From: agoodall@s... (Allan Goodall)
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 00:40:48 GMT
Subject: Re: Worried about GenCon.

On Thu, 5 Feb 1998 14:50:41 -0500, Thomas Barclay
<Thomas.Barclay@sofkin.ca> wrote:

>In Canada, distances are long and that is one of the reasons we
>probably don't have as much activity as we otherwise could based on
>strictly population of gamers. For a lot of us to get to a major Con
>like GenCon or Origins,  it's a bit of an expedition.

How true. From Toronto to Milwaukee it's about 11 to 12 hours,
depending on how long you spend at rest stops. That's a distance of
1100 km. In Europe you can pass through several countries in that
distance.

On the other hand, Toronto is also within a ten hour DRIVE of about
100 million people.

>I'd love it if we
>were as tightly packed (in some ways) as Britain

Brits have a trouble "getting" the scale of North America. In 1992, my
wife and I visited Scotland. We drove on average about 150 miles per
day, a rather leisurely drive for North Americans. When we drove from
Aberdeen to Inverness (180 miles) we were asked where we were going to
stay for the night along the way. I mean, you couldn't do that
distance in one DAY now can you? Mind you, most British roads aren't
like our highway systems, where you can average 60 miles per hour on
US roads (and about 120 km/hour on Ontario's highway 401).

Allan Goodall	     agoodall@sympatico.ca

"Once again, the half time score,
 Alien Overlords: 142,000. Scotland: zip."
  - This Hour Has 22 Minutes

Prev: Old GZG Resin Stuff Next: Re: Worried about GenCon.