Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] Re: National Characteristics? AND EFSB question f Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] Re: National Characteristics? AND EFSB question for Jon

Re: Weapon Choices - DSII

From: Brian Burger <burger00@c...>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 12:02:18 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Weapon Choices - DSII

On Wed, 4 Feb 1998, Jeff Barton wrote:

> Being a new player, I was wondering if I could get some input as to
 everyone's favorite weapon systems to use.
 What weapon works the best overall, and what weapons work
 the best in certain situations or on certain types of vehicles?
 I know that this is all based on opinion, but I would like
 to hear a few ideas.

The best weapon, IMHO, is the MDC, if you can fit it in your vehicles.
(Keeping in mind that it only comes in size classes 3-5). The HKP is
nearly as good, and available in all size classes.

SLAMs can be very powerful - a gaming friend uses twin-SLAM/4 vehicles
devestating effect (hi tony) - but again they're large, class 3-5 only.
They're good against infantry as well as armour, which many of the other
systems aren't.

HELs are good sniping weapons, with they're massive (60") range, but not
powerful, and ablative armour can stop them too easily. As air-to-air
weapons, HELs would work - aircraft/VTOLs are lightly armoured compared
vehicles, and the range is good.

DFFGs have the opposite problem from HELs : they're powerful, but short
ranged, especially the smaller (size 1-3) versions. Good for close up
work
and anti-infantry, I find.

GMS systems (both Light and Heavy) I use cheifly to give infantry
anti-armour capacity. (Inf GMS/L teams) They're powerful, have good
range,
but the existance of ECM and PDS/ADS means they're sometimes harder to
score kills with. If the missle makes it past the defenses, tho, a
first-shot kill is fairly likely. Its just that GMSs have more defenses
breach than guns.

Artillery and DFOs (bombs) are similar but somewhat different. Arty can
do
harassing fire, keeping infantry pinned without expending ammo chits,
but
aircraft are somewhat more flexable - they don't require spotting, for
instance. The rules differnces between DFO MAK rounds and arty MAK
rounds
also means that DFO is a better armour-killer...

Speaking of arty, anyone ever written up house rules for PDS/ADS
interception of arty fire a la Slammer's Hammers? Want to post them if
you
have?

The above is of course just my opinion based on what I've observed in
the
(too few) games I've played of ds2...anyone else want to comment?

Brian (burger00@camosun.bc.ca)