Prev: Re: Earthforce Sourcebook Question for Jon Next: Re: Earthforce Sourcebook Question for Jon

RE: Earthforce Sourcebook Question for Jon

From: "BEST, David" <dbest@s...>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 13:02:17 -0700
Subject: RE: Earthforce Sourcebook Question for Jon

Sorry but I don't agree with you on this.  This may be applicable for FT
and MT but it falls down for B5.  Fighters make radical vector changes
as standard procedure.	Cap ships are so cumbersome
they have virtually NO chance to dodge fighters nor do they have any
problems with fuel for the short time it takes for a B5 battle.  In fact
in "Severed Dreams" they have squadrons out for I believe (I'll have to
look back and check on that)  2 hours doing manoeuvres before they were
rotated to prevent using more than half their fuel.  Cap ships must rely
on their own fighters or anti-fighter weapons to keep them off their
backs.	If you are afraid of upsetting play balance then you should
change fighter strength or increase anti-fighter strength or even
shorten fighter firing range  but I don't think I would change them.
Change anything but fighters should move last.

I think Jon has done a good job with these rules and I like them.  I
also like B5 Wars as a different type of game and plan to play it too.

>>Ground Zero Games wrote:
>
>Sorry, I don't agree with you. I won't say you are "wrong", because
this is
>SF after all and we can all do pretty much as we want anyway. If you
feel
>that the original FT (and EFSB) fighter movement is a	better	model
for B5
>games, then use it by all means. However, in FT itself the use of the
MT
>fighter movement gives (IMHO) a better balance to the game, and
requires
>more tactical thought on the part of the player; if you play well and
>anticipate your opponent's actions, it is quite easy to place your
fighters
>within their 6" reaction distance - of course, he is trying to outthink
YOU