Prev: Re: FT: Excuse my ignorance.. Next: Re: SG II House Rules - longish post

Re: DS2 VTOL vs ADS

From: "John Kinder" <JKinder@w...>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 1998 22:12:19 -0600
Subject: Re: DS2 VTOL vs ADS

    Greetings all,
    I have been reading the posts on ADA weapons for the last week with
some
amusement. When I have judged Dirtside 2, any aircraft and any VTOL at
high
was subject to fire from off-map heavy ADA units. Except in a planetary
invasion scenario, I would think that your Battlegroups on the game
table
would have support from off-table higher level ADA, Artillery,and sensor
systems. If one side had space-superiority, the opposing side would be
severely limited in their ability to use any air assets. I really have
no
problem making it very difficult for air to operate over the Dirtside 2
battlefield. I am a long-time modern micro-armor player and judge. When
my
Apache's attack a Russian-style Motor Rifle Regiment they have to
contend
with 8 ZSU's, 8 vehicle mounted missile vehicles ( SA-9 or SA-13 ), and
27
LAD equivalents ( SA-7 through -16 ). The writers that have complained
about
any increase in range for ADA weapons don't seem to know that the
current
tech level LAD, the Stinger, would have a range of 60" in Dirtside 2. I
think that the ADA ranges for Dirtside 2 were shortened for play
balance.
    I always thought that the ADA rules from the original Dirtside was
one
of the best answers to this problem. I was surprised that it wasn't
carried
over to Dirtside 2.

    each Area Defense vehicle in 36" :	      3 points ( these were
lasers,not RFAC's)
    each LAD in 24" :					 2 points
    each heavy ADA missile unit:		    4 points

total the ADA assets in range of the target VTOL or aircraft to give the
ADA
Environment
						ADA Environment
ECM level of target	   1-3	  4-6	 7-12	 13 +

0				     5	      4        3	2
1				     6	      5        4	3
2				     6	      6        5	4
3				     6	      6        6	5

# on table is # needed on a D6 to hit, # listed or >

if hit, check for result

Die Roll		    Target Armor
				1    2	  3    4    5
1			       A    A	 N    N    N
2			       X    A	 A    N    N
3			       X    X	 A    A    N
4			       X    X	 X    A    A
5			       X    X	 X    X    A
6			       X    X	 X    X    X

N= NO EFFECT	    A=ABORT MISSION	   X=SHOT DOWN

John Kinder
Jkinder@worldnet.att.net
" I don't believe there's any problem in this country,
 no matter how tough it is , that Americans, when
 they roll up their sleeves, can't completely ignore."
George Carlin