Prev: Re: Unofficial GZG Fiction Next: Re: Unofficial Stargrunt II Web Site

Re: DS2 VTOL vs ADS

From: Tony Christney <acc@u...>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 20:55:59 -0800
Subject: Re: DS2 VTOL vs ADS

At 3:49AM Jim 'Jiji' Foster wrote:

>A quick scan through the rulebook fails to turn up that bit...the
>description of MDCs on page 8 does indicate a high volume of fire, but
>nothing about hitting anything it can see. The paragraph below on HELs,
>however, does indicate that *they* can hit about anything in line of
sight,
>plus they have a range of 60". So...
>
>Why not develop an AA unit based on a High Energy Laser? They've got
the
>range, they'd be quick to aim and track (a mirror on a gimbal system is
the
>main moving part, no bulky turrets or barrels), all you'd need is a
sensor
>suite sharp enough to pick up on fast-moving targets like aircraft.

This idea I like! It makes sense "scientifically", keeps it simple,
and doesn't force any major rules changes. The only problem would
be in the logic of the mirror/gimbal idea. This works fine for
supermarket style ruby-red lasers, but wouldn't have a chance with
lasers that don't reflect off of mirrors...

>Two possibilities: some sort of cost multiplier to a standard ADS to
give
>it HEL range potentials, or an (expensive) sensor suite attached to any
HEL
>equipped vehichle that would allow using the main gun to target
aircraft/
>high-VTOLs.

IMHO, the first option would be the only way to go. The second
option would change game balance _way_ too much. Imagine a force of
tanks
armed exclusively with class 5 anti-aircraft capable HELs. No aircraft
would survive past turn one! In fact, such a weapon would be so
deadly that I doubt aircraft would exist on such a battlefield.

>I'm assuming the to-hit procedure and damamge would not change, the
expense
>of the HEL system would be soley for increased range. Optional: keep
the
>price of the HEL-ADS the same as standard ADS, but use HEL damage
>procedures: red chits only.

Again I would have to go with the first idea. How about the following
(for starters 150% cost):

BASIC = 300
ENH   = 450
SUP   = 600

>Random thoughts late at night... take or discard as you will.

Must be student. Who else is writing email at four in the
morning!?!

-------
>Jim 'Jiji' Foster / jfoster@kansas.net / Jiji @ AnimeMUCK / TIP #28
>
>"That's the way we all begin," said Tom Platt. "The boys they make
believe
>all the time till they've cheated 'emselves into bein' men, an' so till
>they die--pretendin' and pretendin'."
>    Rudyard Kipling, _Captains Courageous_

  Tony Christney
  acc@uvic.ca

Prev: Re: Unofficial GZG Fiction Next: Re: Unofficial Stargrunt II Web Site