Prev: Unofficial GZG Fiction Next: Cancon-Stargrunt 2 demo

Re: DS2 VTOL vs ADS

From: "J. Michael Looney" <mlooney@e...>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 18:55:43 -0600
Subject: Re: DS2 VTOL vs ADS

Ward Bowman wrote:

>   I would think that HAWK and Patriot are still relatively close to
the
> forward area.  Things like THAAD (Theater High Altitude Air Defense)
> would more in the area you are mentioning.

I don't think so.  When I was a 24T (Pat. crewman) at any rate we were
supposed to be in the "Corp" area.

>   Hawk and Patriot are used to attack Helos and other lower patrolling
> aircraft on divsional levels.  With Stinger and Avenger providing
> manuver unit coverage.

In my day Patriot was a USAEUR level assest (32nd ADCOM's next step up
was USAEUR).

>   Now the High mode might be valid.  But the Patriot is still
deployable
> to defend areas of the battle field.	In DS2 this is small enough to
use
> a unit on the board.	In SG I would think these are off board.  THADD
> (if it ever works) would be valid off board in DS2 and almost not
> present in SG.

Patriot is designed for nailing A/C at over 40K range.	If short range
field artillery is allowed to be off board in DSII then some form of ADA
should also be off board.

For that matter, Nike Herc (what Patriot replaced) had a range of over
100K.

J. Michael Looney
(former duck hunter for the US Army)

Prev: Unofficial GZG Fiction Next: Cancon-Stargrunt 2 demo