Prev: Re: LOTGH starships and comments Next: Re: Game Show at Newark (UK)

Re: FT Fighters & Cancon report

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 20:26:21 +1000
Subject: Re: FT Fighters & Cancon report

ROBERTSON,Brendan wrote:

> The only drawback with the *DAF changes, DON'T use fighter morale.  I
> used it in the first game & got thoroughly wiped out as my fighters
> couldn't attack.  My own fleet was 2 Fleet CVs + 1 CVE, 2
Interceptors,
> 4 Attack, 4 LR & 4 Heavys.

Agree completely. Also, considering McCluskey et alia, if the spacegoing
fighetr pilots are anything like the Torpedo bomber pilots of WW2, or
for
that matter, the Fuerzas Aereas Argentinas in the Falklands campaign,
then
the Morale rules don't begin to reflect their propensity for attacking
at
hopeless odds.

> Personally, I found the ranges too long (10 PDAFs & 6 ADAFs at 3
> squadrons before they get to respond was just too much.) Although it
did
> make ADAFs more attractive to take.

That was just good play on his part. I had to take on 3 Defence Ships (2
ADAFs and a PDAF each) and 2 Fleet Defence Ships ( 3 ADAFs and a PDAF)
before hitting a 4-PDAF SuperDreadnaught.

I lost 14 Torpedo Fighters out of 36.

He lost the Superdread.

> Also, in fighter vs fighter games, the importance of LR fighters
became
> apparent, being able to "free shoot" at retreating fighters who had
run
> out of combat endurance (pity about those retreating fighter groups,
> Alan ;) )

Again, that was good play, this time by MY opponent! You completely
prevented my 36 Torpedo Fighters from firing. OTOH I was on your Six, so
even 4 B Beams may have worn you down. Doubt it though... I was lucky to
be awarded a draw.

 abrain@cs.adfa.oz.au  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: Re: LOTGH starships and comments Next: Re: Game Show at Newark (UK)