Prev: Re: Adapting VOTOMS to DirtSide II Next: How do I unsubscribe?

RE: Helltank and Helltank Destroyer

From: "George,Eugene M" <Eugene.M.George@k...>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 10:35:57 -0800
Subject: RE: Helltank and Helltank Destroyer

You gotta love the enormous freak-tank for its own sake though. Even if
it stinks in real-life. Anyhow most Freak-Tank/'Mecha games always have
postulated some kind of hothouse type of environment where the Giant
Robot/Ogre/Heavy Launch Tank/Bolo thrives due to Biphase Carbide
Armor/Lack of Artillery or its ineffectual nature/PSB/It Looks Cool.
Hell, maybe the environment is like (shudder) Epic scale Squats, where
the environment on the planets they live is so harsh they live in giant
armored Winnebagos/Mining Machines/Tanks/Land Trains/Crawlers/Hoo Hahs.
Or combat is so ritualized it takes place only with Battlemechs a'la the
Tournaments of High-Medieval Europe, using outmoded, heavy armors that
would be rattling deathtraps on the 'real' battlefield (winched into the
saddle, indeed). Maybe 'Mecha/Freak-Tanks are 'fashionable' weapons or
prestige weapons (every Banana Republic want's a cybertank...). So there
are tons of SF niches that are apropos for the freak-tank. All
rationalizations aside, IIRC Helltank had a more reasonable side to the
background, too......

Gene