Prev: Re: DS II Figures Next: RE: FT Scenario - Dragon Twins

Re: Adapting VOTOMS to DirtSide II

From: Aaron P Teske <Mithramuse+@C...>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 12:06:16 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Adapting VOTOMS to DirtSide II

Excerpts from FT: 15-Jan-98 Re: Adapting VOTOMS to Dirt.. by Mikko
Kurki-Suonio@swob.
> > I have a question regarding the size class of the VOTOMS I
> > place them about Size Class 2 and would allow them to carry weapons
> > equal to Size Class +1.  This would reflect their carrying a rifle
> > based weapon.

Or that big-*ss shoulder-mount weapon that one guy uses on Chirico in
the first episode.... <grin>  (For the uninitiated, he missed, and
burned through about a dozen 'levels' of an asteroid base... clear
through to space, and just *slightly* overkill on an AT....)

Not to mention, some of those ATs (like the Red Shoulder Special) just
mount an *obscene* amount of weaponry... not sure whether one should try
& fit it in, or just ignore it, except maybe for scenarios....

> I'd give them the faster movement rate enjoyed by the big walkers --
> VOTOMS' zoom around pretty fast (i.e. they don't rely on walking).

True 'nuff.

> >	 Also can anybody recommend miniatures that would best represent

> > the VOTOMS in 1/285th scale.
>
> All that springs to mind are the Dreadnought figures for Epic... but I

> think you may have to buy a whole pack of stuff just to get a couple
of
> them :-(

No, GW is selling the new (very boxy) Dreads seperately, but I think
they're like $8 for 4, maybe $9.  (US pricing.)  Kinda spendy.	There
are also the old GW Dreadnought & Robot minis (metal), but those are
rather hard to find, and not too appropriate for VOTOMs anyway.  (Though
I'm intending to use mine as class 1 or 2 walkers anyway... just not
VOTOMs-style ATs. ^_^ )

Now, over on the Heavy Gear mailing list we've been trying to convince
Dream Pod 9 to get someone to carve out some 1/285 scale Gears.  Given
how much VOTOMs influenced Heavy Gear, *those* would be perfectly usable
as ATs... but they've been quite resistant to the idea so far. <sigh>

Later,

		    Aaron Teske
		    Mithramuse+@cmu.edu

Prev: Re: DS II Figures Next: RE: FT Scenario - Dragon Twins