Prev: Re: Roles of various ship classes Next: Re: A bit of SGII Fiction

Re: Strategic Stargrunt

From: Brian Burger <burger00@c...>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 12:54:53 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Strategic Stargrunt

On Thu, 8 Jan 1998 Mike.Elliott@BULL.NET wrote:

> The following is a simple idea that allows you to set SGII games
within the
> context of a larger battle. It is based on an article in a (way) back
issue
> of Mini Wargs.
>
> "Pawns in the Game" - Strategic Stargrunt
>
> 1. You need a map of some sort marked off in squares. An Ordnance
Survey
> map is conveniently divided into 1km squares. A bit big, but OK.
Ideally
> the squares should approximate to the size of your playing area. E.g
for
> a 6ft by 4ft table the squares should be about 700m across (~72 *
10m).

> 2. You also need some counters to represent units on the map. Each
counter
> represents a platoon sized force. Some platoons may be understrength
and
> some may be reinforced (say with a tank or a Power Armour squad). Draw
up
> a TO&E so you know what each counter represents. Assign a quality to
each
> unit.
>
> 3. Place the counters on the map. There is no fixed time scale. Let a
map
> turn represent, say, an hour - whatever feels right to you. Each
counter
> can move 2 squares per turn unless all troops are mounted in vehicles,
in
> which case allow them to move 3 or 4 squares in a turn.
>
> 4. The idea is that you are the commander of _one_ specific unit, not
the
> whole force. So higher command will decide strategy. This can be done
by
> rolling a D6 at the start of each day:
>
>	 1, 2	 defend
>	 3, 4	 counter attack if attacked
>	 5, 6	 attack
>
> +1 if this force is on a "campaign offensive". The die roll may be
made for
> the force as a whole or for two or more sectors depending on the size
of
> overall force.
>
> 5. Where opposing units enter the same square:
>
> If one of them is _your_ unit, then fight an SGII battle. The
situation on
> the map should determine the scenario for the battle.
>
> If neither of the counters is _your_ unit then resolve the conflict by
> rolling the quality die of the units in an opposed roll. The
difference in
> the scores is the number of squares the loser is pushed back. If the
> higher score is double or more than the lower score then the loser is
> "destroyed" (suffered sufficient casualties for it to be withdrawn).
>
> See also the campaign suggestions in the SGII book.
>
> Comments?
>
> Mike Elliott

This would be very cool - a simple strategic overlay to SG2 would add
greatly to the game. Issues like "When will these troops get
fed/rearmed/refueled/sent back from the front for rest" would no longer
have to be abstracted, fudged, or GMed...

An interesting book that deals with this level of combat (squad to
company
w/ strategic overlay) is called "First Clash: Canadians in World War 3".
Being of mid-80s publication, it's a bit dated, but the writing and
detail
have influenced my take on SG2 scale battles.

As this book was a Canadian Dept. of Defence publication, I doubt it'll
be
available elsewhere, unfortunatly. Take a look for it, tho. The public
library here has it...

(Alan, I'm sure Toronto has a copy hiding in it somewhere...take a
look...)

If anyone else is interested, let me know...I can get publication
data/author's name to help you hunt it down...

Could something similar be adapted to DS2? The maps would be larger, of
course, showing tens of km's of ground instead of just kms...and the
greater complexity of ds2 combat groups might nix the simple dice roll
for
"NPC" fights...I don't know.

My $0.04 (weakening of the Cdn $ vs US $, you know...)
(and don't even mention the d***ed UK pound...mail-order is ugly...)

Brian (burger00@camosun.bc.ca)

Prev: Re: Roles of various ship classes Next: Re: A bit of SGII Fiction