Prev: Re: Old Sathar (Star Frontiers) box sets Next: Re: A Full Thrust Font for Ship Design? (OFF TOPIC)

Re: Old Sathar (Star Frontiers) box sets

From: agoodall@s... (Allan Goodall)
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 18:24:46 GMT
Subject: Re: Old Sathar (Star Frontiers) box sets

On Sat, 20 Dec 1997 17:34:15 -0500 (EST), Aaron P Teske
<Mithramuse+@CMU.EDU> wrote:

>For the record, the UPF Battleships are *quite* impressive.  Nearly 5"
>long once you attach the engines.  Very hefty piece of lead.
>
>(And yes, there *was* a UPF box at the store... but that's mine. ^_^ )

Yup, pretty hefty. I had painted up a fleet of Sathar and a fleet of
UPF ships for the GenCon mailing list game. The UPF ships paint up
nicely (even after I hacked part of the heavy cruiser due to lead
rot). They take a while, though, because they are just so darned big.

I REALLY lucked out at GenCon in 1995. A place was liquidating a tonne
(metric tonne, that is) of old TSR lead. I picked up 6 Sathar boxes
and 6 UPF boxes, as well as a bunch of blister packs. A dozen boxed
sets cost a total of US$20...

As a side note, does anyone have any suggestions for conversions or
different figure lines to add to the UPF and Sathar fleets? There are
four types of Sathar ships (the boxed sets have 3 but there were some
"cutters" as well) and about as many UPF ships. I've painted the ships
in a couple of different colours so I can say, "That blue heavy
cruiser is actually a dreadnought, but the red cruiser is a carrier."
However, I'd like to get some additional ships to add to the fleet.
The ships should look like they belong to the same fleet, if at all
possible.

Allan Goodall			   agoodall@sympatico.ca

"Unlike serial killer profiling, writing is a lonely and
depressing profession." - Jose Chung, Millenium

Prev: Re: Old Sathar (Star Frontiers) box sets Next: Re: A Full Thrust Font for Ship Design? (OFF TOPIC)