Prev: Re: Cloaking, an alternate system Next: RE: Kill Adien Stienke!!!

SV: Cloaking, an alternate system

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@n...>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 14:32:49 +0100
Subject: SV: Cloaking, an alternate system

> > This makes very little sense. IMHO the idea of a cloak is to mask
all
> > internal emissions and bend external emissions (i.e.. light, ect),
around
> > the cloaked hull. ECM by current technology, is the emission of
false
or
> > jamming data. The ECM hardware should give a cloaked ship away, not
help it.

> > Scott
>
> Hey, in David Weber's Honor Harrington series, one of the things
> they use their ECM suites for is to stealth emissions.  Don't
> ask me how.  It seemed like a useful thing for an ECM system
> to do.

Which book was that? I remember ships maskerading as smaller units (eg
the
Grayson SDs in "Flag in Exile") by using their ECM and hiding behind the
wedges of other ships, and I remember silent running (eg in "Short
Victorious War"), but I'm not sure where they use their ECM suites to
run
silent...

Of course, the 3rd generation ECM system in Starfire has, among other
things, a cloaking ability, so Weber is obviously capable of combining
the
two things into one gadget! :-)

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Cloaking, an alternate system Next: RE: Kill Adien Stienke!!!