Prev: Re: GZG Online Catalog Next: RE: GZG Online Catalog

Re: (Dumb question) Logistics in Full Thrust

From: mehawk@c... (Michael Sandy)
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 23:02:40 -0800
Subject: Re: (Dumb question) Logistics in Full Thrust

> > > Michael Sandy
> > > Still looking for Full Thrusters in Portland, Or
>
> Michael,
>     You have put together some thoughtful analysis of
> the game for our reading enjoyment and thought provoking
> discussion.  Thank you.
>
>     Have you actually had an opportunity to
> play Full Thrust, either face-to-face or via e-mail?!?
>
> Jon

No, but I read a lot and followed all the position
reports in the first Empress Arianna Tournament.  I
really have no idea how easy or difficult it is to
visualize where a ship will end up after what course.

Theory vs Praxis, you know.

As point based systems go, Full Thrust is surprisely
difficult to hack.  Having found major abuses in
Champions, Shadowrun, Gurps, and a few other RPGs that
crossed my path, I find that refreshing.  The only
completely out of spirit concept was the FTL suicide
ship squadrons.

Even that isn't a major problem, I mean, if you can't
move your fleet out of a 6" radius with a full move
warning you deserve to get hit.  A ship has to maintain
course for a full turn while charging up the jump
engines, and that jump engine charging is _obvious_.
Seriously, you never want to spend a lot of time in
anybody's 12 arc anyway.

Obligatory semi-abuse:
Suppose you have several systems to defend and you
want to make sure the defense will at least take some
attacker with you.

A couple of suggestions:
Have a huge number of planet based fighters,
32 point per group Long endurance fighters,
44 point long endurance Multirole Attack fighters
38 point Torpedo fighters (Planet based Torpedo
fighters can afford normal endurance because they
are only going to make one attack and then attempt
to return to base)
and
80 point Robot Interceptors
Robots interceptors are kind of neat because your
opponent has to decide whether to lose a squadron
of interceptors killing them or risking the robot
interceptors ramming their ships.

The goal is to take out the attackers interceptor
squadrons completely.  Once he is left with only
attack and torpedo bombers you can send in your
own Carrier attack force and butcher him.

Of course, your opponent could get wise and try to
kill your fighters with ADAF, but he could lose
some ships that way.

Prev: Re: GZG Online Catalog Next: RE: GZG Online Catalog