Prev: Re: SSD miniatures Next: Re: Big guns on small ships

Re: Big guns on small ships

From: John Leary <realjtl@s...>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 16:37:06 -0800
Subject: Re: Big guns on small ships

Tim Jones wrote:
...Snip...(JTL)
> I'd be interested as an aside which ships these were.
> However it was not 'that' common and a lot of British Navy
> Cruisers in the early years were about 8 inch.
...Snip>...(JTL)

Tim,
     As requested, slightly better information on the
ships I mentioned.

MONITORS:

MARSHAL NEY and MARSHAL SOULT were used as accomodition ships
during the war.   The turrets were removed and installed on the
ROBERTS and ABERCROMBIE.   Displacement was 6400 and 6700 tons.

I02 EREBUS and I03 TERROR;  2 X 15", 8 X 4", 2 X 3"AA.
7200 tons,  12 kts.  405x89x11 feet.
Terror was lost to enemy action on 24FEB41.

F40 ROBERTS and F41 ABERCROMBIE;  2 X 15", 8 X 4"AA.
7850 tons.   Roberts was not completed.
Abercrombie may (stress on the may) have been at Normandy.

     The desire for the latter paragraphs was to show that
one cannot draw a strict relationship between the real,
(WWII) world and the use of the ship class names to
determine the 'proper' assignment of the sci-fi weapons
to the sci-fi ship classes because of the sci-fi ship
class names.	 I hope that will make everything clear.
(Hopefully more clear than mud, but maybe not!)

Rob Paul,

Corageous, Glorious and Furious were The three light
BATTLEcruisers, completed as carriers.
The intended use for these ships; to penetrate into the
Baltic Sea on raids.

Bye for now,
John L.

Prev: Re: SSD miniatures Next: Re: Big guns on small ships