Prev: Re: Tenders and stuff Next: Re: Tenders and stuff

Re: 3 arc cost

From: John Leary <realjtl@s...>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 17:32:40 -0800
Subject: Re: 3 arc cost

Various comments by a number of people,

> > I must admit I fail to see why you should pay
> > a mass cost for a specific extra arcs
> >
> > If you take a WWII battleship turrent as
> > a baseline. Most of these had a three
> > arc field or fire, but you payed the one
> > off mass cost of the turret once. A
> > more fixed mount weapon didn't pay
> > for the mass cost of the turret but
> > had a more limited field of fire.
> >
> > So I would say any multi-arc weapon
> > pays a single mass cost, which is for
> > the machinery to point it into the multiple
> > arcs.
> >
> > As A beams are bigger than C-B then
> > the mass/cost  of the A turrent should be
> > significantly greater.
> >

> How about this.  Have turreted weapons and fixed weapons.  The
> turreted weapons cost more in mass.  It doesn't matter how much the
> weapon can turn.  The size of the mechanism is what is important.
> Fixed weapons are 1 arc weapons.  No turret.	No mechanism for
> turning and so naturally less mass (and cost for that matter).

John,
     I basiclly agree with your thoughts, I dont think that will
change anything, but I do agree.
     Perhaps what is needed is to consider the shape of the
ship to decide the number of 3/2/1 arc weapons systems on board.
Or perhaps limit the number of three arc systems by mass of the
ship?
     At present the 'A' is simply not that much better than 3
'C' batteries at short range to justify an increase in mass.
(Caution: Big Guess follows) Or perhaps I should ask, is one
three arc 'A' better than 12 one arc 'C's.
     The one game I was in with something close to the new
mass rules was a really extended battle with ships of mass
80 to 160 in the majority.  The mass increse of the ships
coupled with the reduction in firepower made it a five hour
battle.

Bye for now,
John L.

Prev: Re: Tenders and stuff Next: Re: Tenders and stuff