Prev: RE: : here ya go.... Next: Re: 3 arc cost

Missiles and Submunition ideas

From: mehawk@c... (Michael Sandy)
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 23:29:39 -0800
Subject: Missiles and Submunition ideas

Missiles and Submunitions are fun weapons, the problem
many people have with them is that they are basically
all or nothing weapons.  Well, here are a few ideas
for fixing them.

As I understand the cargo rules, a merchant ship
can carry 1 missile per Mass unit of cargo space.
Actually, the cargo rules aren't worked out anywhere
that I could find, but that seemed about right.

So why not develop some rules for ships which can
transfer missiles or submunitions from cargo to
launcher?

So for 4 Mass a ship could have 1 missile launcher
and a total of three missiles for 18 points.
One provision I'd make is that it takes a full turn
to reload a missile.
Missile Phase
1)  Fire loaded missile
2)  Load missile from cargo
3)  Fire 2nd missile.

For 6 Mass and 6 cost a ship could have an automated
rearming bay that quickly shifts missiles and
submunitions from a central bay. This bay can handle
12 Mass of submunitions and missiles, or 6 missiles
or 12 submunitions or any combination.	The bay can
be larger than 6 Mass, but each bay is treated as
a system for purposes of threshold checks.  Instead
of having to figure out how much cargo is lost due
to damage treat this special cargo bay as a system.

Another modification:
Instead of limiting all missile launchers to firing
through the 12-arc, when the missile launcher is
built define its launch arc.  A ship with two launchers
might have a 10-arc and a 2-arc launch.

The advantage of having an automated reload bay is
that you load new armaments during the Write Orders
phase.	This enables the Captain to select what
kind of missile he wants to fire.

Or he can swap the current missiles with missiles in
the reload bay instead of firing them.

With a 6 Mass requirement this system is probably
only going to be used by large Cruisers and Capital
ships.	It gives a middle ground between the
endlessly reusable but not too effective Pulse Torpedo
and the cheap one-shot submunition volley.

Heavy missile Cruiser:
36 Mass  Thrust 4

3 Missile Launchers, courses 10, 12, 2
Initial loads, 2 standard, one needle missile

Level-2 Shields
6 Mass automated reload bay with
3 standard missiles
2 needle missiles
1 EMP missile

total cost:
72 + 36 + 72 + 50 + 18 + 6 + 36 = 290

Submunition Dreadnought
Mass 60  Thrust 3

Level-3 shields
6 Submunition packs forward  18
6 Mass automated reload bay  42
6 2 A Beam PFS		     26
PDAF x3 		     9

Cost:  120 + 60 + 180 + 75 + 18 + 42 + 21 + 9 = 525

The submunitions can kill an equal sized ship if
two of the volleys are within 6" and the other volley
is within 12".	That is a lot faster than an equal
weight of Pulse Torpedos!

Prev: RE: : here ya go.... Next: Re: 3 arc cost