Prev: RE: Background: What do we want & When Next: RE: Background: What do we want & When do we

Re: Earthforce Sourcebook is in!

From: Stuart Murray <smurray@a...>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 09:37:35 -0500
Subject: Re: Earthforce Sourcebook is in!

>At 20:08 04/12/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>I've played a couple of games of it and I can say I'm not too
overwhelmed
>>by it.  It seems you have to do an awful lot of damage to functionally
>>disable ships, and fighters seems very unbalanced vs ships.  I think
I'll
>>probably end up using it for small ship/fighter combat (the fighter
minis
>>are quite nice) as i'm not wild about thier resolution of ship to ship
>>combat.
>Do you mean the EarthForce Sourcebook rules or the B5 wars rules?

The B5 Wars rules

>As it is, what you say would fit very well with the B5 universe way of
>doing things. In the B5 universe a ship attacked by fighters without
cover
>is in deep trouble - a squadron of starfuries could probably take out a
>carrier in quite short order. They'd take heavy casualties doing it but
>they'd manage it. Basically, in B5, offensive technology is
significantly
>more advanced than defensive technology, so a fighter is a bigger
threat
>than it's size would signify.

I agree with you on the B5 perspective, however, the rules for fighters
are
somewhat distorted, yes the fighters will maul a carrier in no time at
all,
however, the fighters thamselves take a ridiculous amount of damage
before
thier integrity suffers.  All you have to do is look at a typical output
from the B5 wars mailing list to see the comments about relative fighter
strenght.  For me they are way too powerful compared to the ships, and
the
ships themseleves seem to be a (with perhaps the exception of the
Minbari
Cruiser) undergunned.  I had this impression of the BREWs of Earthforce
being much more powerful than are portrayed in the game.  Another thing
which really does not work for me is the effective engagement ranges,
because of recharge times fo rthe big weapons you only realy get to use
them a couple of times in a game so so far I've been 'saving' them for
most
effect, most effct being almost point blank range.  I realise when I'm
using model ships that the scales are massively distorted but the feel
of
the game goes awry for me when I use miniatures as they usually only
really
fire effectively from a few hexes away.  the other thing which really
does
not work for me is the hex based movement, the artificial erstrictions
on
turns imposed by hexes really p****s me off, if i hd more time i would
klude some hex-less fix together, but as it is there are just too many
things which irk me right now so i'm just not that enthusiatic about
playing more games soon.  Additionally considering the imminent arrival
(please mail gods, let it be today !!!) of the EFSB I guess the B5 wars
box
may end up gathering dust for a while before I get it out again.

Stuart.

>Hmmm.. anyone got rules for Missiles in B5?I have a sudden itching to
>recreate 'Endgame' now I've seen it on a big TV with surround sound...
>
>				TTFN
>					Jon

Stuart Murray

Department Of Molecular Genetics
Albert Einstein College Of Medicine
1300 Morris Park Avenue
Bronx
New York 10461

Tel: (718) 430 4289
smurray@aecom.yu.edu

Prev: RE: Background: What do we want & When Next: RE: Background: What do we want & When do we