Prev: Re: Anti-missile defenses in FT Next: Re: sub/unsub

Re: Anti-missile defenses in FT

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 10:10:34 +0200 (EET)
Subject: Re: Anti-missile defenses in FT

On Mon, 1 Dec 1997, John Leary wrote:

> Bottom line, The missile defence is almost useless and so are
> the missiles, this is called play balance.

The problem I see with missiles is that they are very on/off weapons.
Either they hit and cause grievous damage of the battle deciding nature,
or they miss and do nothing (at which point the missile force runs
away*).

It's almost like tediously planning and setting up a game and then
deciding
the result with a single flip of a coin.

Missiles do get results when properly applied. That is, en masse,
against
formations and with hit&run attacks.

Another point to consider: If you are regularly going fast enough to
avoid missiles with ease, you are certainly going fast enough to avoid
any fighter threat almost completely. Are fighters another weapon system

we want to reduce to the laughable ineffectiveness of B-batts?

*) Yes, I do realize an all-missile force can not handle all situations.

But an all-missile fleet arm is overeffective in some very typical
tasks,
like raiding, hit&run and installation attacks.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: Anti-missile defenses in FT Next: Re: sub/unsub