Prev: Re: cm scale Next: RE: 27Nov97, Greetings

RE: cm scale

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 02:01:06 +0200 (EET)
Subject: RE: cm scale

On Wed, 26 Nov 1997, Samuel Penn wrote:

> What sort of speed capping are you thinking of? Presumably it
> would be some multiple of the ship's thrust?

I haven't tested it yet... either relative to thrust, or some
constant. If constant, probably high enough that slower ships never
reach
it during practical play.

> If it's four times the thrust, then it's not going to make
> much difference. My thrust 8 ships rarely go above a speed
> of 16. OTOH, my thrust 4 dreadnaughts tend to fly around at
> 10+, a limit of x2 or x3 is going to be most unwanted.

Well, I must so our experiences are vastly different. I've seen on table
speeds of 50+ (and it was a good, solid tactic too -- if it wasn't such
bloody pain I'd use it every time when I have a 8 vs. 2 speed advantage
and need to deliver a close range strike). Missile boats regularly
accelerate all the way. Hit the table at 18 (we allow starting speed of
10+thrust), accelerate all the way and they're off the board on the
second
turn. In fact, anyone going below 16 better be going 0 (to utilize the
"0
speed spin" loophole).

> Because of the way the movement system works, low thrust ships
> are more manouevrable at high speeds.

Would you care to elaborate? I find this statement highly confusing.
The angles they can turn are exactly the same, but the turning radius
goes up.

>   b) Limit their speed, which forces them to keep their
>      speed down so they don't fly off.

No. By observing the speed cap, they *won't* fly *too far* off the
table.
Really cuts down those "fly-by at 100 and then turn around 1000" away
for
another pass" tactics too.

> In both cases you're restricting fast ships. In the latter,
> you've also got to cope with what happens when ships go off
> the table. With a few ships this is easy. With 100+ ships
> and fighter groups, it's not worth it.

We've been playing a lot of campaign games, which means punishing those
spent missile boats is a big deal. Letting them get away simply flying
off
the table wouldn't cut it anyway.

> We tend to play with large fleets btw... (which may explain
> why I'm approaching the problem from a different direction
> to you).

I'll just disagree with you, but the larger the fleet is, the sillier I
find it not splintering into separate engagements drifting off the
various table edges.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: cm scale Next: RE: 27Nov97, Greetings