Prev: Re: Gunboats in FT... Next: RE: cm scale

Re: Unfair Kamikazes?

From: Kevin Walker <sage@m...>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 97 12:11:41 -0600
Subject: Re: Unfair Kamikazes?

At approximately 11/24/97 8:41 PM,  JP & Val Fiset wrote:

>I feel the same way.  Although, I can see the point of those against
>it.  In a PBEM (First Blood) that I participated in before, some rules
>were added to board a ship.  These rules made it easier to board a ship
>if both ships were travelling in the same general direction.
>
>I believe this type of modifier makes sense and that it could apply to
>ramming.  The modifier would make it easier to ram a ship from behind
>and harder to ram a ship in a head-to-head fashion.  Some scheme, as
the
>following one, could be used:
>- ramming from behind: roll a SIX on a D6 (as per rules)
>- ramming on the side: roll a SIX on a D6 and then beat a 2 on a D6
>- ramming head on: roll a SIX on a D6 and then beat a 4 on a D6
>
>>From a PSB point of view, it makes sense (think of aircraft dogfight:
it
>is easier to track a target from behind).  From a play point of view,
it
>preserves ramming but requires more strategic skills.
>
>I have not tested the rules written above and I do not claim that they
>are fair.  But I believe rules similar to those would help many
>situations that were discussed on this thread.
>
>As far as leaving the table under FTL, maybe the damage imposed on
ships
>around a destroyed ship is too much. How about ships within a 3 unit
>radius takes full damage, and ships in 3 to 6 units range take half the
>damage?

What if damage for going to or coming out of FTL near other vessels not
doing the same thin only effects the ship making the transit?  Final
acts
of desperation could still be enacted by ramming (if allowed), maybe
using a similar system to the one mentioned above in the replying text.

One thing I disliked about Task Force's SFB was that ships could
disengaged, IMHO, much too easily.  Many players I played against used
this mechanism as a means to get out of bad situations they placed
themselves in while making a risky maneuver.

Kevin Walker			 Mac Developer / Software Engineer
sage@millcomm.com
Rochester  MN  USA		 WAM!NET

Prev: Re: Gunboats in FT... Next: RE: cm scale