Prev: Re: Of Sensors and Needles - Some Questions and Suggestions Next: Re: Of Sensors and Needles - Some Questions and Suggestions

Re: FTL Kamikaze (was:Re: cm scale)

From: Jonathan Davis <davis@a...>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 12:42:27 -0500
Subject: Re: FTL Kamikaze (was:Re: cm scale)

Ground Zero Games wrote:

> Agreed. When we wrote FT, we made the mistake of not anticipating the
> hordes of munchkin players.....
> A suggested (simple) fix, that will in all probability be adopted in
FTIII,
> is to leave the FTL proximity damage rules as they are , except for
> removing the bit about damage to other ships - so that a ship engaging
FTL
> too close to something else will still damage/destroy ITSELF, but not
harm
> any other vessels.
> IMHO this still preserves the feel of the intention of the rule (that
you
> can't safely FTL if you are close to another object) but instantly
removes
> any benefit of FTL Kamikaze tactics.

No one in my play group has resorted to the "cheese" tactics of FTL
Kamakaze (thankfully).

One of my first campaign gaming experiences with FT (Lafayette sector
in the FT rulebook) had a desparately damaged NAC Fleet Carrier trying
to escape to FTL and managed to jump in the midst of the ESU invaders.
A failed jump would doom the invasion and hearts raced as the die roll
was made.  He jumped safely and caused no damage, but there was a
significant amount of tension in the roll.  And isn't that why we play?

I will not miss the rule.  Thanks for removing it.

Jon Davis