Prev: Toronto DS2 Players? Next: Re: Skytrex Starguard range

Re: Gunboats in FT...

From: Tony Francis <TONY@s...>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 17:44:04 +0000
Subject: Re: Gunboats in FT...

> From: 	 "Mike Wikan" <mww@n-space.com>
> To:		 FTGZG-L@bolton.ac.uk
> Date: 	 Thu, 20 Nov 1997 11:49:25 +0000
> Subject:	 Gunboats in FT...
> Reply-to:	 FTGZG-L@bolton.ac.uk
> Priority:	 normal

> New system: Gunboat
> Mass: 2 per Gunboat
> Cost: 15 per gunboat
> Speed:10"
>
> Gunboats are similar to bombers of the late 20th century. They have a
> forward firing energy cannon (as a fighter but may only attack ships
> not fighters due to it's slow recharge rate) two volleys of range 6"
> submunitions (1 submunition die each) and an anti fighter
> mount with a 360 degree arc (roll a d6, on a 6 a fighter is killed)
> The Gunboat may either fire 1 or 2 submunitions or fire it's energy
> armament. The gunner may fire his mount seperately. A squadron of 6
> gunboats firing it's submunitions (12 die) at a ship target would
> average 8 points of damage regardless of shields on the target.
> Gunboats are built for extended missions and thus have an endurance
> of6 attack rounds before needing to return to the carrier.

Nice idea, but I think you may have undervalued it - especially if
you're making it harder to hit than a normal ship of mass 2. I've
experimented with Strikeboats of mass 3, thrust 8 carrying two
submunition
packs launched from carriers and costing 18 points - a legal FT
design. A full fleet carrier's worth (12) packs a lot of short-ranged
firepower but, being normal ships, they are easily destroyed by beam
batteries having only one damage point and have no self-defence
capabilities. So, I suspect your gunboat is worth nearer 20 points
than 15.

Prev: Toronto DS2 Players? Next: Re: Skytrex Starguard range