Prev: Re: Bugs, Mr. Rico, Zillions of them... Next: Re: The Knights Who Say FTIII!(Was Re: Colony Critical Mass)

Re: Infantry Dirtside (and bonus painting tip)

From: Michael Llaneza <mllaneza@s...>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 08:31:03 -0800
Subject: Re: Infantry Dirtside (and bonus painting tip)

At 9:45 PM -0800 11/18/97, Alan E & Carmel J Brain wrote:
>Los wrote:
>
>> Where do you guys acquire your sci fi minis infantry?
>
>Games Workshop (Yes, the evil GW) has replaced it's old 6mm Epic Space
>Marine game with a new Epic 40K game (which IMHO is a great game,
maybe,
>just maybe, even better than DSII in some ways). And new figures.

Right. The Space Marines make great powered armor troops. Buying
Imperial Guard gets you a lot of bits that wouldn't look quite right in
a GZG game, but may be useful. The Eldar can be used for troops in
environment suits (as opposed to powered armor). Good luck with the
Orks and Squats. The old-style Eldar Falcon tanks (the plastic ones as
I recall) would make good Grav APCs.

And the ImpGuard looks great painted in khaki. Spray prime 'em black,
drybrush khaki on, dab the exposed flesh, and hit the guns with a touch
of silver. I just did a 22 stand batch of Dark Star 6mm infantry (Ask
Jon Tuffley where to get them, I traded with him for them) using this
technique.

The drybrush of a khaki color over black gives very good contrast, and
the black that will show through will pass for detail and/or outlining
at arms length (next time you watch a cartoon, esp. Disney, watch how
the characters are solid colors outlined in black). This is a technique
for wargaming figures, not for museum quality, so just dabbing a bit of
flesh color at hands and face will work. A careful drybrush yields
better results, but cuts your productivity in half. Likewise, silver
for the guns is not remotely accurate (matte or cammo would be right)
but it makes the weapons stand out on the table. Lastly, drybrushing
yields the best results in terms of time invested and it's my favorite
technique.

So grab them cheap plastic minis and get painting !

Michael Carter Llaneza	  http://www.hypnotic.com/
Devolution is very real to me.

Prev: Re: Bugs, Mr. Rico, Zillions of them... Next: Re: The Knights Who Say FTIII!(Was Re: Colony Critical Mass)