Prev: Epic stuff Next: Frustration !!!

Jovian Chronicles GZG Adaptation

From: Roger Burton West <roger@f...>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 97 15:50:12 GMT
Subject: Jovian Chronicles GZG Adaptation

On Thu, 13 Nov 1997, Mikko Kurki-Suonio wrote:

>On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Stuart Murray wrote:
>> Combat in vacuum is
>> deadly, there is no such thing as wounded, explosive decompression
will
>> quicly sort that out for you, even a slight nick in the suit would
remove
>> the trooper as they will be more concerned about survival than
fighting.

>IMO, a wounded trooper is pretty much always more concerned about
>survival than fighting. But "explosive decompression" is a myth.
>You can survive even hard vacuum for some time (it's not nice and may
>result in permanent damage, but it's survivable) -- patching a suit
>should a be routine operation for trained troops. You don't have to
take
>my word for it, ask NASA -- they've tried it (with monkeys I hope).

Explosive decompression is not a myth - but it also isn't the only sort
of decompression.

If you get a bullet/laser hole in your pressure suit, you've got time to
patch it. If something rips your arm off, you probably haven't. If
you're unsuited in a ship that gets seriously holed and the pressure
drops to zero fast enough, you're _dead_.

The effects of rapid decompression include: bleeding from just about
everywhere (uncomfortable but not serious), major ear damage and pain
(very disorientating), probably eye damage, and (if you even _try_ to
hold your breath) ruptured lungs.

Explosive decompression, on the other hand, is fast enough that you
can't empty your lungs before they explode.

So, in summary, I agree with Mikko, but major damage may not _be_
patchable.

Roger

--

Prev: Epic stuff Next: Frustration !!!