Prev: RE: Starship Troopers: I've got a wonderful Grinchy Idea... Next: Re: Starship Troopers: I've got a wonderful Grinchy Idea...

Re: Jovian Chronicles GZG Adaptation

From: Just another celibate nymphomaniac in denial <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 09:34:18 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Jovian Chronicles GZG Adaptation

>> Combat in vacuum is
>> deadly, there is no such thing as wounded, explosive decompression
will
>> quicly sort that out for you, even a slight nick in the suit would
remove
>> the trooper as they will be more concerned about survival than
fighting.

>IMO, a wounded trooper is pretty much always more concerned about
>survival than fighting. But "explosive decompression" is a myth.

It is? Huh, gee, news to me. 'Explosive decompression' is when you go
from
pressurized to vacuum (or exceedingly low pressurized) in a very short
period
of time. No, the person themselves do not *explode*; that part is myth,
true.

>You can survive even hard vacuum for some time (it's not nice and may
>result in permanent damage, but it's survivable) -- patching a suit
>should a be routine operation for trained troops. You don't have to
take
>my word for it, ask NASA -- they've tried it (with monkeys I hope).

So, just how long is 'for some time' in a vacuum? 10 seconds, 20 on the
outside? 15 seconds would be a long time to chew vacuum, and you're not
going to be in very good shape to do any suit patching. You'll lose
consciousness rather quickly.

Mk
-
During the run-and-fight-and-run-again battle through this forest of
horror,
she is finally cornered. Her weapons have been left deep in the bodies
of the
slain or broken against the granite-hard scales of these snakes that are
not
snakes. Her stand to the death must be fought here. Though her only
weapons
are her hands and her deep and wide knowledge of the slayers, she does
not
fear them. They will die. Of this she is sure.