Prev: Re: SPOILER<<STARSHIP TROOPERS REVIEW>> Next: Re: Irregular Spaceships

Re: FT3/fighter movement - was SV: SPOILER<<STAR

From: John Leary <realjtl@s...>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 1997 21:24:21 -0800
Subject: Re: FT3/fighter movement - was SV: SPOILER<<STAR

Chan Faunce wrote:

> M Hodgson wrote:
>
> > Please - can we get back to the relevent bits...
> >
> > FT anyone ?
> >

> Ok. How about this:
>
> 1) Has anyone played fighter groups using ship
> movement rules instead of fighter movement? (12" of
> Thrust and 6 clock facing changes)
>
> 2) I've seen on the list that engines in FT3 will
> not be a static 50% of ship mass. Will the (IIRC) 5%
> mass for 1 thrust be used for Accel/Decael and
> turning, or will you have to buy accel,decel, and
> turning seperatly. This could end up being more
> expensive but allow for more flexability of design.
>
> Chan

Chan,
     I have considered point 1 as a functional change for fighters.
My answer to the perceived problem is to require fighters to move
as ships if, and only if the fighters desire to excede the
operational speed of the particular fighter type.
     Since I may have been dancing around the point in that last
little bit, lets try this:  fighters start and end the movement
portion of the turn at speed zero;  to change to ship movement
mode the fighters must end the move at speed 12 (or max speed).
This retention of speed must be announced to your ememy.
>From this point on the fighter moves like a ship untill the
fighter drops to a speed less than maximum.  Fighter movement
is restored when the fighter can decelerate to zero.

Somewhat simple, but it will work.

Bye for now.
John L.

Prev: Re: SPOILER<<STARSHIP TROOPERS REVIEW>> Next: Re: Irregular Spaceships