Prev: Off Subject: Co-Ed showers etc... Next: Re: Bio-Forces -- Was: SG2/DS2 help wanted...

Re: SPOILER<<STARSHIP TROOPERS REVIEW>>

From: db-ft@w... (David Brewer)
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 1997 22:59:32 GMT
Subject: Re: SPOILER<<STARSHIP TROOPERS REVIEW>>

In message <87FC6134812E4AD2@xenotech.com> Kevin Pavlick writes:

> Hey guys and gals, what the heck is happening here!!!
>
> We all wish/want cool space war movies.  We want them to be more
> frequent, more popular, the whole nine yards.  Along comes a guy who
> has the balls (sorry) to spend ALOT of money on a risky space movie
> (that LOOKS great, you CAN'T argue that) and all I see here is
> pissing and moaning.	Give it a rest!

Some chance. Expect pissing and moaning on every sci-fi oriented
net forum for the duration.

I'm guessing Starship Troopers holds a place in the collective
heart of sci-fi fans because so many people read it when they were
children.

Heinlein was a children's author. I wish I'd read ST when I was
12, or so, rather than being twenty-something. It would have been
great to stomp about for a week or two with a new found sense of
Moral Philosophy recieved unquestioned from Uncle Bob. It would
have suited me really well, since at that age I was a hardcore
Marxist-Leninist. Seriously. Disenfranchise all who will not serve
the state in heroic strife and toil. I'd have loved it.

Why are people bitching about tits and ass in the film? I read
loads of Heinlein when I was young enough not to find it insulting
and I recall striking theme of gratuitous nudity. Maybe Bob was in
the same hot-tubs as Allan.

That's what I remember most of RAH. Ludicrous over-educated
heroes, gratuitous nudity and gratuitous incest. And swordfighting.
Couldn't he have just seen a psychiatrist? Did he have to write it
down?

Blond hair? Blue eyes?... didn't I read that the director's next
project was a revisionist Hitler biopic?

--
David Brewer

Prev: Off Subject: Co-Ed showers etc... Next: Re: Bio-Forces -- Was: SG2/DS2 help wanted...